As per the Chinese traditions certain numerals are believed to be auspicious and inauspicious based on the Chinese words that sound similar to numbers. The auspicious ones are 0, 2 and 3, while 4 is considered to be inauspicious.
Significance of the numbers according to the Chinese beliefs:
- The number 0 is the beginning of all things and is generally considered a good number as it sounds like ‘ling’ which means good.
- The number 1 is neither auspicious nor inauspicious. It is a number given to winners to indicate the first place. But it can also symbolize loneliness or being single.
- The number 2 is most often considered a good number in Chinese culture. There is a Chinese saying: "good things come in pairs".
- The number 3 means "to live" or "life" so it's considered a good number. It's significant since it is one of three important stages in a person’s life (birth, marriage, and death).
- The number 4 is considered an unlucky number in Chinese because it is nearly homophonous to the word "death"